With a little under two weeks until (finally!) the premiere of COPPER, I decided to throw together a little Spotify mixtape in honor of our impending debut. Music was a constant companion as I wrote on the show — whether it was some of my usual favorites or whether it was something to put me in more of a “Copper-like” mood (fun fact: those tunes included Luke Kelly/Ronnie Drew/The Dubliners, The Chieftains, a lot of old Irish singers I can’t recall, and a surprising amount of Chris Thile [especially the Goat Rodeo project]).
This mix is something different: a collection of tunes following the themes of cops, criminals, or whatever shenanigans people of their ilk end up getting involved in. It kicks off with a tune from The Clash (this poster was on the wall of my office — fun fact #2) that was used brilliantly in our season-ending wrap video/gag reel for the cast and crew (fun fact #3). From there, we go all over the map:
1. “Police & Thieves” - The Clash
2. “Police Truck” - Dead Kennedys
3. “Sound of Da Police” - KRS-One
4. “Inside Looking Out” - The Animals
5. “The Perfect Crime #2” - The Decemberists
6. “Last Caress” - Misfits
7. “I Fought The Law” - Bobby Fuller Four
8. “Cocaine Blues” - Johnny Cash
9. “53rd & 3rd” - The Ramones
10. “Fuck Tha Police” - N.W.A.
11. “Watching The Detectives” - Elvis Costello
12. “New York City Cops” - The Strokes
13. “Scene of the Crime” - Amazing Royal Crowns
14. “Jailbird” - M. Ward
15. “Cops And Robbers” - Bo Diddley
16. “Hey Joe” - Jimi Hendrix
17. “Children’s Story” - Slick Rick
18. “Gun Street Girl” - Tom Waits
19. “State Trooper” - Bruce Springsteen
20. “Whiskey In The Jar” - The Pogues/Dubliners
Twenty tracks, culled from a list of over fifty (fun fact #4: the last tune cut from this mix, a/k/a ‘Song 21’, was “Copperhead Road” by Steve Earle). Listen, share, please enjoy, and feel free to let me know what tracks I SHOULD have included in the comments.
Lastly, let’s not forget the most important part: COPPER premieres on Sunday, August 19th at 10pm — only on BBC America.